The Preferred First Name and Preferred Last Name fields replace the data from the First Name and Last Name fields wherever names display in ADAM. The primary name information is maintained on the record while allowing ADAM to display the user's preferred name.
This is a role-based permission. When the Preferred Names setting is On, that role can access the Preferred First Name and Preferred Last Name fields on the Users page. If you don't have access to these fields, contact your ADAM administrator to determine the best way to display the information you need.
A user record with a preferred name indicated will always display in ADAM with the preferred name, regardless of user permission settings.
We might see a preferred name used when a student's official state record shows their legal first name of Robert, but the student prefers, and is always referred to as, Bobby. Updating Bobby's record allows the test tickets and Proctor Dashboard to reflect his preferred name while maintaining his legal name in the student record.
Here are a few places where existing preferred name(s) appear in ADAM:
- Logged in user name
- User search results
- Administration sessions
- Administration Proctor Dashboard
- Administration print cards (see image below)
- Student List on the Classes page, including during the Add process
- Alias Upload student lists
- Reporting exports and onscreen display of students and/or teachers
- Select Rostering, then select Users.
- Search for the user you want to edit, and then select the Edit icon. Users that appear depend on the organization you belong to.
To remove a preferred name, delete all data from the Preferred Name fields.
After updating a student's preferred name...
Expect a delay of up to an hour before the administration reflects the update. This update affects the Session List, the print card, and the student's name in the Proctor Dashboard. If the student has already started the test, you cannot make updates to the student name.