This information is a part of Manage Online Tests.
This is one of the tasks to be done During Online Testing.
Some features are only available to some user accounts. Each user account has a user role(s) and permissions associated with it. These permissions control the data the user can view and actions the user can perform. If you do not see a specific feature, your account is not configured to access it. See Manage Users for more information.
Your testing program will provide information identifying user roles and what each is permitted to do and see.
This page describes how to manage an online test session. Getting an online test session ready for testing is a multiple-step process.
Before a student can take a test in TestNav, perform the following tasks in the chronological order (see table below for details):
- Create an online test session
- Prepare an online test session
- Start an online test session
- Unlock the student test.
When the testing is complete you can stop the test session. If needed, you can restart a stopped session.
Session statuses vary depending on where you are in the testing process, as shown below.
|Not Prepared||Initial status of a session, when a session is created.|
|Ready||All forms and seal codes have been assigned to the session.|
|In Progress||A session is active and the students are testing.|
|Stopped||All testing is complete and students cannot be added to the session.|
A session is in queue for form and seal code assignment.
|Errors - Not Prepared||Contact Pearson Support for assistance.|
Session Tasks and Statuses
The following table describes each task and related information.
To search for previously created test session, follow these steps:
- From Testing > Sessions, search to find test session(s) you want to prepare, or click the down arrow next to the Search button, and select Show all results. Select a session(s).
- From Testing > Students in Sessions, select a session from the Session List. Or, From Testing > Students in Sessions, click Add a Session. Search for a session(s), and click Add Selected.Click here to view screenshots...
|Task||Description||Session status before this task is started||Steps||Session status after this task is completed|
Create an online test session
A session must be created before testing can start.
You can create an online test session two ways:
Prepare an online test session
|Prepare a session to assign a test form or Section Security Code (seal code).||Not Prepared|
A session must contain student(s) before it can be prepared. Learn how to add students in Add Students to Online Test Sessions.
You can prepare sessions two ways:
Start an online test session and unlock the student test
A session must be started and the test unlocked before a student can log into TestNav.
To start a session:
From Testing > Students in Sessions, select a session from the Session List and click Start Session. Unlock the test, so that it is available to students for testing.
You must also retrieve Student Test Tickets so that students can log in to their assigned tests. You may also need to retrieve Seal Codes, according to your testing program requirements, see Retrieve Resources for an Online Test.
|Stop a test session||A session can only be stopped when testing is complete and all students' statuses are either Complete or Marked Complete, as described in Monitor or Change Student Status.||In Progress|
To stop a session:
From Testing > Students in Sessions, select a session from the Session List and click Stop Session.
|Restart a test session||Only a stopped session can be restarted.||Stopped|
To restart a session:
From Testing > Students in Sessions, select a session from the Session List and click Restart Session.
Launch a Test in TestNav
To launch a test in TestNav from within the system, follow these steps:
- From Testing > Students in Sessions, from the Session List, select a session with In Progress status.
- Under the student list Answer Input column, click Launch Test. For students with the test status Complete or Marked Complete, you cannot launch a test .
You are then logged into TestNav. Click Start Test Now.Click here to view screenshots...
- Test forms define the contents of online tests. A test form is a collection of test questions grouped together to measure a student's understanding of a subject. One or multiple test forms are created, each being a variation of the test to be administered, and then these forms are associated with a test. Test forms are created by test content specialists and stored on a content server.
To edit a session, click the pencil icon. To view session details, click the information icon.Click here to view a screenshot...
- Learn how to unlock or lock a test as described in Unlock or Lock a Test.