After you resolve an issue based upon an Early Warning System (EWS) error message, you can resume the student's test session in the assessment management system. When a student logs in to resume the test, TestNav checks the designated response file location(s) to determine whether a saved response file (SRF) exists. These files have a .srf or .SRF extension.
- When a student resumes the test on the same computer or device that he or she originally used, and TestNav finds one or more SRFs, the student can continue testing.
TestNav uses the SRF with the newest time stamp.
- If TestNav does not find an SRF, and the student is in Resume status in the system, he or she continues from the last item uploaded to Pearson.
- If TestNav does not find an SRF, and the student is assigned Resume-Upload status in the system, EWS displays an error message.
Pearson recommends that students resume tests on the computer or device originally used, whenever possible.
If the student must resume the test on a different device, and the EWS saved a student’s response file, you can use the SRF on the new device.
- Save the SRF from the original device to a thumb drive or a shared location.
- Transfer the SRF to the new device.
- Mark the student Resume-Upload in the assessment management system.
When the student launches and signs in to TestNav on the new device, the system searches the default SRF location. When TestNav cannot locate the SRF in that location, it prompts you to browse to retrieve the file. After you direct TestNav to the file, it automatically uploads to the testing server.
For more information about Early Warning System error messages, see Error Codes.