After you download TestNav and ProctorCache, complete the following:
These ordered steps correspond to sections below or a related setup page. You can click each link to go directly to the corresponding processes.
- Install TestNav using the instructions below.
- Run App Check on each device.
- Sign in to TestNav to verify app opens and that you can start your test.
- Set Up ProctorCache on your proctor caching computer(s).
- Review the Find and Set Up Response File Backups section to prepare yourself to find saved response files (SRF) and log files before the testing session.
- Communicate SRF and log file locations and download information to test proctors.
- Make sure that you or the test proctor has a thumb drive readily accessible.
- Run an infrastructure trial using a practice test.
During BOTH the infrastructure trial and the actual test, note which specific device each student uses during each test. The TestNav app saves SRFs to only one designated place on the testing device. If an error occurs, you can locate files only on that specific device.
To set up TestNav on Chrome OS, you should first determine whether each device is managed or unmanaged. Unmanaged devices are typically only used in "bring your own device" (BYOD) settings. To check whether a device is managed or unmanaged, see Manage Chrome Devices.
Install TestNav on Managed Devices
To install TestNav on managed devices, you first ensure each device's settings are set to keep local data to avoid accidentally deleting the SRF and log files. Then, you add TestNav as a kiosk app.
Follow the steps below to install TestNav.
- Sign in to the Google Admin console for your domain, using your administrator account (does not end in @gmail.com).
From the Google Admin console home page, go to Devices > Chrome.
Click Apps & extensions.
- On the left, select the top-level organization for which you want to configure settings. Then, select a child organization, if necessary.
- Click Kiosks.
- Click Add and choose Add from Chrome Web Store. Do not add TestNav from Google Play. Google Play contains TestNav for Android and not for ChromeOS.
Search for TestNav and click Select.
- If prompted, accept the app permissions.
In the panel on the right, set the app and extension policies.
Install TestNav on Unmanaged Devices
Unmanaged Chromebooks/Chromeboxes purchased in 2017 and later cannot run in kiosk mode.
- Open a new tab in Chrome, and enter
chrome://extensions in the address bar. Click Enter.
- Turn on Developer Mode.
- Click Manage kiosk applications...
If you do not see Manage kiosk applications... you do not have the correct owner account information. Input the correct information, or go back to step 1 and create a new owner account.
- Enter the TestNav ID - mdmkkicfmmkgmpkmkdikhlbggogpicma in the Add kiosk application field.
- Click Add, and then, click Done.
- Sign out.
- On the Sign On page, TestNav appears under Apps on the bottom-left of the screen.
Run App Check
Sign in to TestNav
- Power on the device, but do not log in.
- In the lower left of the screen, select to launch TestNav.
A message appears, informing you that you can use <ctrl><alt>s to exit Chrome OS when you first launch TestNav. This works only while the message displays.
If you have not already done so, choose the appropriate icon for your test on the home page. If your test was selected before the test session, you see the Sign In page, rather than the home page.
If you need to select a different test, click the user drop-down menu at the upper-right of the page, and click Choose a different customer.
Click the appropriate icon for your test.
- Start a test to ensure that you can do so without error.
- If you see a Practice Tests link on the Sign in page, click Practice Tests and start a test.
- If you do not see a Practice Tests link, use an authorization ticket from your student management system and start a test.
- To shut down and exit kiosk mode after the app launches, hold down the button.
Find and Set Up Response File Backups
Primary Save Location
On Chrome OS, the SRF default primary save location is not customizable.
To find files on Chrome OS:
- Launch the TestNav app.
- Focus your cursor in the username or password field.
- Press <ctrl><shft>z, and the File Viewer box appears.
If the File Viewer does not display, click on the window and then press <ctrl><shft>z again.
- Plug in a USB memory stick.
- Click the download button next to the srf and log file(s) you want to download.
- When the window opens, select the USB memory stick, and click Save.