After you download TestNav and ProctorCache, complete the following:
These ordered steps correspond to sections below or a related setup page. You can click each link to go directly to the corresponding processes.
- Install TestNav using the instructions below.
- Run App Check on each device.
- Sign in to TestNav to verify that the app opens and that you can start a test.
- Set Up ProctorCache on your proctor caching computer(s).
- Review the Find and Set Up Response File Backups section to prepare yourself to find saved response files (SRF) and log files before the testing session.
- Communicate SRF and log file locations and download information to test proctors.
- Run an infrastructure trial.
During BOTH the infrastructure trial and the actual test, note which specific iPad each student uses during each test. The TestNav app saves SRFs to only one designated place on the testing device. If an error occurs, you can locate files only on that specific device.
When the TestNav app update becomes available,
- Delete any previously established TestNav restrictions from iPads. Search for the Assessments Overview in Apple Education for details.
- Download TestNav for iPads.
Do not connect iPads to computers during testing.
Run App Check
As you perform the tasks below, if presented with a Confirm App Self Lock message, click or tap Yes to continue.
Sign In to TestNav
When you are ready to start a test:
Start the TestNav app.
The first time TestNav is launched, it displays the Enable Microphone Permission message.
Tap or click OK to grant microphone permission.
If the student taps or clicks Don't Allow, TestNav displays another prompt, shown below:
Tap or click Open Settings to enable the microphone.
Tap or click the appropriate icon for your test on the home page. If your test was selected before the test session, you see the Sign In page, rather than the home page.
If you need to select a different test, tap or click the user drop-down menu at the upper-right, and Choose a different customer.
Tap or click the appropriate icon for your test.
Start a test to ensure that you can do so without error.
- If you see a Practice Tests link on the Sign in page, click Practice Tests and start a test.
- If you do not see a Practice Tests link, use an authorization ticket from your student management system and start a test.
- When starting a test that requires kiosk mode, the student should:
- Enter a username and password, and tap or click Sign In.
On the Confirm App Self Lock message, click or tap Yes to continue testing.
- Students that click or tap no, cannot continue testing in the secure test.
- Students can test in kiosk mode for a maximum of 8 hours from the time the student signs in. If the time limit expires, kiosk mode stops and the student is exited from the test.
The proctor, then, must:
- Resume the student in the assessment management system.
- Restart the iPad.
- Have the student sign in again.
Find and Set Up Response File Backups
Primary Save Location
On iPads, the SRF default primary save location is not customizable.
|You can find SRF and log files two ways on iPads - using Safari or a USB cable.|
- Open Safari and enter the url: testnav://admin.
Note that the first time you access this, a dialog asks if you want to open in TestNav. Tap Open to open TestNav.
- Click View Logs or View Student Responses.
- From this screen, you can view and email SRF and log files.
- Click the Home button when finished.
- Connect the iPad to the computer using a USB cable.
- Start iTunes, version 9.1 or later.
- Click iPad from the listed devices in the iTunes window.
- Click the Apps tab and then scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- View the list of apps currently installed on the iPad under File Sharing.
- Select the TestNav App. A list of TestNav log files displays under TestNav Documents.
- Select and open the SRF or log file you want to view.