This page includes expandable text. If you cannot find your topic, click to display expandable text, and then control-F (command-F on Mac) to search the page again.
After you download TestNav and ProctorCache, complete the following:
These ordered steps correspond to sections below or a related setup page. You can click each link to go directly to the corresponding processes.
- Install TestNav using the instructions below.
- Run App Check on each device.
- Sign in to TestNav to verify that the app opens and that you can start a test.
- Set Up ProctorCache on your proctor caching computer(s).
- Review the Find and Set Up Response File Backups section to prepare yourself to find saved response files (SRF) and log files before the testing session.
- Communicate SRF and log file locations and download information to test proctors.
- Run an infrastructure trial.
During BOTH the infrastructure trial and the actual test, note which specific iPad each student uses during each test. The TestNav app saves SRFs to only one designated place on the testing device. If an error occurs, you can locate files only on that specific device.
When the TestNav app update becomes available,
- Delete any previously established TestNav restrictions from iPads. Search for the Assessments Overview in Apple Education for details.
- Download TestNav for iPads.
Do not connect iPads to computers during testing.
Run App Check
As you perform the tasks below, if presented with a Confirm App Self Lock message, click or tap Yes to continue.
- Click or tap the appropriate icon for your test from the home page to go to the Sign In page.
Click or tap the user drop-down menu, and select App Check.Click here to view a screenshot...
App Check (without optional Configuration Identifier)
On the App Check page:
- Leave the configuration identifier field blank.
- Click Run App Check.
You see green checkboxes for Kiosk Mode Readiness and connectivity to TestNav, if the system passes. If one of these fails, you will see a Fail message and must check your connection and settings before running App Check again.
App Check (with optional Configuration Identifier)
If you have obtained a Configuration Identifier from your assessment management system:
Enter it in the Configuration Identifier field.
The configuration identifier allows TestNav to also check connection to ProctorCache computers.
Click Run App Check.
If ProctorCache connectivity fails, TestNav provides information for possible resolutions. Use this information to troubleshoot, and run App Check again.
The screenshots below are examples of possible scenarios when running App Check with a configuration identifier.Click here to view screenshots...
Sign In to TestNav
When you are ready to start a test:
Start the TestNav app.
The first time TestNav is launched, it displays the Enable Microphone Permission message.
Tap or click OK to grant microphone permission.
If the student taps or clicks Don't Allow, TestNav displays another prompt, shown below:Click here to view a screenshot...
Tap or click Open Settings to enable the microphone.
Tap or click the appropriate icon for your test on the home page. If your test was selected before the test session, you see the Sign In page, rather than the home page.
If you need to select a different test, tap or click the user drop-down menu at the upper-right, and Choose a different customer.Click here to view a screenshot...
Tap or click the appropriate icon for your test.Click here to view a screenshot...
Start a test to ensure that you can do so without error.
- If you see a Practice Tests link on the Sign in page, click Practice Tests and start a test.
- If you do not see a Practice Tests link, use an authorization ticket from your student management system and start a test.
- When starting a test that requires kiosk mode, the student should:
- Enter a username and password, and tap or click Sign In.
On the Confirm App Self Lock message, click or tap Yes to continue testing.Click here to view a screenshot...
Kiosk Mode Warnings
- Students that click or tap no, cannot continue testing in the secure test.
- Students can test in kiosk mode for a maximum of 8 hours from the time the student signs in. If the time limit expires, kiosk mode stops and the student is exited from the test.
The proctor, then, must:
- Resume the student in the assessment management system.
- Restart the iPad.
- Have the student sign in again.
Find and Set Up Response File Backups
SFTP configuration is not supported by all assessment management systems. Consult your assessment management system user guide to determine whether the SFTP option is available.
Familiarize yourself with the default primary save location.
Configure the secondary save location through your assessment management system.
The same secondary save location applies to all computers and devices. You only need to set this configuration one time.
Communicate SRF and log file locations/procedures to proctors (see Primary Save Location below).
Note which student tests on which device during infrastructure trials and on test days.
Primary Save Location
On iPads, the SRF default primary save location is not customizable.
|You can find SRF and log files two ways on iPads - using Safari or a USB cable.|
Run an Infrastructure Trial
Pearson strongly recommends running an infrastructure trial to verify the technology setup is complete and to familiarize teachers and students with the test.
Use your training site through your assessment management system to complete the trial before the actual test day.
You can learn more about SRF and log files on the Set up and Use TestNav page.